Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Grade 12 Student Makes Astonishing Discovery: ‘High School’ is Two Words

MOOSONEE: A grade 12 student in Moosonee Ontario couldn’t believe his eyes as he was entering the high school this morning. Feeling a bit nostalgic about his time in school so far, he looked up at the front sign as he approached the building.

The student was stunned. “I was like, ‘What the heck?’ I thought someone was messing with me! Or at least it was a typo or something.” It was at that point the student made an observation that was 12 years in the making. “Right there on the sign, ‘High school’ was broken up into two words, ‘high’ and ‘school.’ Blew me away.”

“I’ve always spelled high school as one word, always.”

After entering the building the student looked around at other appearances of the term ‘high school’ in signage which confirmed the two separate words.

“I mean like, seriously! How do I get to grade 12 without knowing how to spell ‘high school’? Was this a recent change that I wasn’t made aware of?” asked the student.

The student said he used to think the automatic spell check on his cell phone was “stupid” because it kept wanting to change highschool to high school. “I used to think, ‘What kind of a smartphone doesn’t know the word highschool’”?

We pointed out the spelling to a grade 11 student passing by, “No way! That’s trippy man. I had no idea.”

English teachers at the high school declined to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment