Thursday, May 2, 2013

Tie-Dye Lab Coat Fails to Motivate Students



April 10, 2013

MOOSONEE: Students at small high school in Northern Ontario are learning about the latest in science, participating in dynamic, hands-on labs, and are generally enjoying their science class with Mr. Marson. They are not, however, particularly motivated by his rainbow tie-dye coloured labcoat.

“I don’t really get it,” said one student as he gathered up his books from the lab counter at the end of class. “He’s a super-smart teacher, but that lab coat makes him look, kinda, I don’t know, not smart.”

Some have expressed concerns about the possible safety problems. “What if students are doing an experiment which involves open flames on a bunsen burner and then become hypnotized by the swirling rainbow colours of teacher’s lab coat?” asked one teacher who preferred to remain anonymous.

The heavily bearded science teacher explained that the tie dye lab coat was a gift from his science department head. “I think it was expensive, so I sort of feel an obligation to wear it once in awhile.”

When asked whether the techno-coloured lab coat helped keep science fun and motivating, the student responses were fairly muted. “No,” replied one female student with one eye covered by her bangs. “I don’t really care,” said a male student without taking his eyes off his iPod.

“I like Mr. Marson a lot - he’s a great teacher,” said another student smiling, “but I don’t care much for the lab coat.”

“Most of the time it just stays on the back of my chair,” said Mr. Marson scratching his beard. “I’m not really sure what to do with the thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment