Thursday, May 2, 2013

Student Fakes Locker Check



April 13, 2013

MOOSONEE: A local grade nine student accidentally walked past her classroom door last Thursday afternoon and then pretended to look for something in her locker to avoid the embarrassment of turning around on the spot and heading back. 

High School students open and close their lockers countless times throughout the school day, but this student found a more creative use of the iconic storage space - it smoothed over a potentially awkward moment. 

“I don’t normally forget where my classes are,” said the grade nine student who prefers to remain anonymous, “but this time my mind was elsewhere and I completely missed it. I walked straight past it!” 

“There were a bunch of people still in the hall and I didn’t want to look like I forgot or was lost or something.” Looking down at the binder she was holding against her chest she admitted, “I just didn’t want to look dumb to the older kids.”

The false locker-checking consisted of a strong gaze inside the locker, the poking and adjusting of some items, and then the quick closing of the door to create the illusion that she had suddenly found what she was looking for. Satisfied, she then walked straight back to her classroom.

When told about the performance, a grade ten student commented, “Yeah, I had no idea she didn't actually need anything in her locker. I guess I was completely fooled.” “I don’t think anyone would have cared if she turned around on the spot and went back,” said a grade eleven student. 

This embarrassment-avoiding grade nine student is now glad to have the situation behind her and hopes that she’s never put in that situation again. 

“Though, if it does happen again, I’ll be ready.” 

Grade twelve student representatives declined to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment